Thursday, August 24, 2017

Day 203:Janelle Krause

Biography:

Janelle Krause is a weaver and educator currently residing in Tucson, AZ. In May of 2017 she will have completed her MFA in Studio Art from the University of Arizona. Originally from Iowa, Krause received her BFA in painting from the University of Iowa in Iowa City, IA along with a minor in art history and a K-12 teaching license in art. Janelle is currently working on completing a woven installation which will be exhibited in the Joseph Gross Gallery on the University of Arizona campus (reception April 20th). She has had her work exhibited in several shows in Tucson such as "High Fiber" (Conrad Wilde Gallery, 2016), "Common Threads" (Tucson Mayor's Gallery, 2016) and "X is for Xenophobia" (Steinfeld Warehouse 2017). Krause can be contacted, and more of her work can be found on Instagram @jlkrause. 

Artist Statement:

It's quiet here, like the silence from snowfall, like walking into a basement where all of the lights are turned off. Weaving with monofilament is where it began. This unyielding silvery substance that captures the light in a passing glance transfixes me. The more I stare, the more I obsess over this quality, and the more my mind wanders. Little flashes of captured luminescence become flashes of memory – an imagined piece of life. My attention shifts inward as these memories come to life in recreated moments of light, color, and sound. Staring further, I alter the memories to make stories of my own. Now, I've imagined so much I'm not certain where the memories end and where the stories I tell myself begin – my imagined space is not the reality. This brings me out from my warm, imagined space and I see now where I truly reside. It's a place where the memory used to be. All that is left is the disintegrating scaffolding of a memory's origin; tattered ruins in both memory and mind. 




Instagram @jlkrause

Silent like Snowfall Series










3 comments:

  1. This is lovely! I live in Tucson, so I am going to have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is really beautiful. keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete