Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Day 355: Roan Carter

I’m an illustrator. I work freelance and do covers for books. My current project is a book that I’m illustrating and writing called Salamander and the Unscarred Mind. It’s an adventure story set in Austria in 1940, where a child dying of tuberculosis seeks counsel with an elusive holy man.

I like to explore what people experience in contrast to the reality of the world they live in. I like to use dramatic lighting and color theory to play with the emotions of my viewers. The works I create most always tell a story. I find that a narrative is essential to good art. I believe that hyperbole in art is more effective at communicating an experience than a truthful approach. Part of this might be because my own head is full of such emotional extremes, but I have a sneaking suspicion that everyone is navigating their own internal narrative that is far removed from the reality of the world they live in.

I’m available for commissioned work. If you’d like to stalk me, you can certainly do that! 


Starlet 


Rose Sits with Klaus 

On the Sea 

Moritz and the Serbians

Cover of Salamander and the Unscarred Mind

No comments:

Post a Comment