Monday, January 8, 2018

Day 340: Mary Bruns

Mary  Bruns

     I am an artist using split imagery as a means of expression.  The activity of one side of the painting or drawing is filled with the thoughts, activities and memories which best describe the separate and solo image whose full image is juxtaposed next to it.  I call my painting “collective realism” as it is a chief means of visual energy to satisfy and explain a situation, a life, an encounter or human dilemma, the same way a theater visit gives explanations and insights. 
     I refer to old photographs, photos I have taken, real life botanicals and ads as references and models in my paintings.  I give vintage photos a story and stage and enjoy the process of painting or drawing each one to look like a photograph or the exacting of an ad.  These are not transferred images. They are still life props displayed and then painted in oil on linen.   I never use transfers, only a hand painted glaze technique. 

   Ordinary objects become quite extraordinary if taken the time to look at them.

marybruns.com

Tomatillos

7 y o l o and t c b t o

5 Age if magnificence

1 Sorting Through It All

Fragments

2 comments:

  1. SORTA LIKE A COLLAGE' OR MONTAGE'

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is all oil paint. No transfers. I paint my still life images as the old masters did. Glaze over glaze.

    ReplyDelete