Saturday, October 21, 2017

Day 261: Rezmo

Growing up on the Navajo Reservation the only graffiti I saw as a child was gang related graffiti.I even helped my elementary class paint park walls that were covered in gang tags during Earth Day events.There was no appeal or dazzle behind graffiti being from a small town.It wasn’t until I went to college in a bigger city that I was opened up to a bigger spectrum of art.I went to college for fashion design then painting then drawing.In that time I traveled a lot, met other artists and seen so many different forms of art.I still remember though, the first burner piece I saw.(A burner is referred to as a piece that is more elaborate and takes more time and effort by the artist.)It was in Albuquerque,NM and a friend of mine invited me to see the wall that she and a few others were working on.It was beautiful, it was alive and the energy of the artists, the wall, everything just spoke to me.In that moment I fell in love with graffiti.
Since then it has been my voice.I use my Native American roots as my source of inspiration.My ancestors before me left petroglyphs and now I leave my own.I am currently part of art collective made up of all indigenous aerosol artists called Neoglyphix.I myself as an artist strive to take my art to the next level.To inspire my children as well as others.

https://www.facebook.com/natasha.l.martinez.5


IG:@rezmosky






2 comments: