Monday, May 8, 2017

Day 95:Mary Shindell

Visually speaking, my fascination with the desert lies in the contrast of detail and vast space.
This phenomenon is nowhere more apparent than in the light rays cast by a blistering sunset as
they splinter through thousands of Saguaro needles. As Napoleon observed, “geography is
destiny,” and the desert has made itself specific to my experience. In my work, I try to depict what
it is to be a desert dweller. I synthesize what I see, which can be the smallest detail extrapolated
into a sweeping statement about the landscape. The feeling of standing in the desert is, perhaps,
comparable only to that felt by those who have stood in outer space. Quite appropriately, I often
combine satellite images and NASA images with detailed drawings of plant life I find near my
studio. Consequently, planets and jet contrails often find themselves married to the prehistoric
looking environment of the Sonoran Desert, wed to another by symmetry and juxtaposition. To
this end, I use both traditional and nontraditional media. This allows me to use hand-drawn work
in combination with computer-generated drawing. It also means I can push the boundaries of
drawing out of the picture plane and use line, light, and space as a three-dimensional landscape
drawing.  
maryshindell.com

Inflection Point

Inflection Point 039

Varient I

1 comment:

  1. VERY VERY INTERESTING FORMS, KEEP ON KEEPIN' ON MARY...

    ReplyDelete