Friday, April 14, 2017

Day 72:Sandra Luehrsen

Many years ago, I left the green Midwest to live in the wild and khaki colored desert of the Southwest. I wanted a new beginning. The exotic desert flora fascinated me right from the start. I witnessed firsthand how all of us – people, animals, plants, and microbes – survive in and adapt to the environment no matter how harsh and forbidding. Inspired by exotic desert plants, the colors of the land and sky, and by my greener past, I use clay to create my own hybrids, “trees of life”, and gardens. My botanicals sprout flowers, cacti, and stars.

My art is and has been about the cycles of life here and in the hereafter -- if there is one. Mystery abounds! Nature shows us that there must be something much bigger than us out there. I find that both humbling and hopeful.
http://www.sluehrstudios.com/
www.shopvida.com/collections/sandra-luehrsen
https://www.facebook.com/sandra.luehrsen 


“Tree of Life: As Above, So Below” 10” x 12” x 4 1/2” Earthenware, glazes, gold metallic overglaze, nichrome wire, glass 2016


“Tree of Life: Artesian Street” 11” x 15” x 10” Earthenware, glazes, slip, metallic overglaze, nichrome wire 2016

“Desert Dreams in Egyptian Arms” 11 1/2” x 7 1/2” x 10 1/2” Earthenware, glazes, slip, metallic overglaze, nichrome wire, glass 2016


“Looking Outward” Purely sculptural cup 5” x 5” x 4” Earthenware, glazes, nichrome wire, glass 2016

“Leaves #3” Purely sculptural cup 6” x 5” x 3” Earthenware, glazes 2016

4 comments: