Sunday, April 2, 2017

Day 59: Jack McClain

I am a retired scientist and self-taught artist who paints as a daily practice. For many years I considered myself a fine art photographer and found my artistic outlets on the street with my Leica cameras and in darkrooms. In the past I have also been a military medic, Search and Rescue Dog Handler, rock climber, and an operating room nurse. 

Now I paint.

Why? 

Painting - and my favorite thing about it - allows creating my own light and forms. 
Painting allows expression limited only by my own  skills and imagination. 
Painting is physical like dancing. 
Painting allows sloppy and drippy and finger prints. 
Painting is analogue, and
Painting can be colorful far beyond the natural. 
I try not to overthink whats happening when I start a painting. I simply allow texture and random shapes and colors to take form with brushes or knives. This is the chaos stage.
Making a story out of the chaos comes next.
Sometimes addressing the chaos results in pure form/color abstractions, sometimes quasi-figurative and sometimes allegory. At other times when traces of the old left brain photo-formality rises to the surface the painting morphs into distinct geometric forms with no purpose but to be colorful with a coherent orderliness.

I live in Tucson, Arizona, and certainly my colors and compositions are informed by the natural palette of the Sonoran Desert. My painting is no doubt further influenced by the funky pre-statehood historic neighborhood that I live in. Tucson is a very eclectic and groovy place with lots of one-of-a-kind creative people that have befriended me, inspire me, and help  in my attempts to deserve the moniker “artist”. I owe my friends so much; they know who they are and I thank them.

Your thoughts and impressions of my work are valued and most welcome.
www.jackmclain.com


"Pressure” 24X18, Acrylic on cradled wood panel 


“Crisis”, 30X30, Acrylic on canvas

=“Old Town Tucson”, 23X30in,  Acrylic on Arches 140lb Watercolor Paper 

“Trees (Red, Yellow, Blue)”, 30X30, Acrylic on Canvas 

Ellipsis” 36X36, Acrylic on canvas 

1 comment: